Thursday, July 28, 2011

Game Of Thrones

Still jetting off the Glasgow each week but, due to a generous work colleague who also shares these trips, I've now watched the first series of Game of Thrones. And it was excellent!

Sure, things sort of meandered a little in the middle, but episode 7 turned things around and from then on it was a wonderful sprint to the finish. In fact, I was somewhat surprised I'd reached the last episode (I hadn't realised there were only 10 episodes) and so felt a bit 'robbed' when the end came. I want more!

Like the books, I think the first half of this season suffered a little from having lots and lots of different characters split across a variety of locations. It took a while to get a hang of who was who and where events were happening. But, as mentioned, by about two-thirds of the way through things started to click into place.

And, like the books, no character is safe from the chop!

All the actors are great in their roles and none let the side down (although, perhaps, Lena Headey's Cersei does not come across as well as the others). The locations look wonderfully lavish and there's a real sense of suspense and intrigue.

Let's hope the second season arrives sooner rather than later.

3 comments:

Tim Knight said...

Glad you've caught up ;) Sounds like your feelings on the show pretty much echo mine.

Of course, I don't just want season two to arrive quickly, I want to hear that the show has been commissioned to run and run for years - to cover all the books!

S Bates said...

Well, that would be nice. But unfortunately they only seem to green light these things a season at a time. :(

Anyway, at this rate, they'll be producing the seventh TV season before the seventh book!

Tim Knight said...

I know, but we can dream...