Saturday, May 05, 2012

Free Comic Book Day 2012

Well, for the first time in ages I visited my 'local' comic shop. I say local - its a train ride into hellishly busy Manchester. Hey ho.

Unfortunately when I got there in the afternoon all but two different comic books had gone! So all I got was DC's The New 52 and Dark Horse's Buffy. Oh and I bought John Byrne's Compleat Next Men vol 1. A pity really, because my daughter fancied getting the Bongo and Smurfs free comic books. Oh well...


Tim Knight said...

Even though the bulk of the comics and RPG needs are catered for online, I'd still love to have a "local" comic and/or game shop.

If it was actually in Tonbridge I'd probably move in!

I'm sure you'll be able to pick the Smurfs and Bongo comics up on email for a reasonable (although, obviously, not free) price ;)

Stephen Bates said...

Funny thing is, though, my old home town of Northwich has a local comic shop now. It didn't used to when I used to live there.

My friends and I practically used to live in the local computer game shop 'cos my mate's brother owned it. :)

Tim Knight said...

When I lived and worked in Sevenoaks there was a gameshop that I was a virtual fixture at (and - as a local journo/deputy editor - it got a surprising amount of puff press coverage!)

But although comic shops have popped up around Tunbridge Wells/Tonbridge over the years, none have ever stayed long enough to develop a rapport with.

I'd like to think if I was independently wealthy I'd open a comic shop (that dabbled in games, of course), but I expect I'd just stay in my mansion, in front of a 50" 3D TV, watching blu-rays and reading comics ;)